Defense team for Harvey Weinstein requests maximum of 5 years in prison for sex crimes convictions

first_imgDNY59/iStock(NEW YORK) — Harvey Weinstein should be sent to prison for no more than five years, defense attorneys said in a letter to the judge ahead of sentencing scheduled for Wednesday.The disgraced former Hollywood producer was convicted of two felony counts — criminal sexual assault and third-degree rape — for attacking former production assistant Mimi Haley in 2006 third-degree rape of aspiring actress Jessica Mann in 2013. He was acquitted of three additional counts — two counts of predatory sexual assault and one count of first-degree rape.The defense said Weinstein’s age, health and life of charity are among the factors that argue for a lesser sentence. Weinstein, 67, who was convicted on Feb. 24, was moved from Bellevue Hospital Center in New York to Rikers Island correctional facility last week after undergoing a procedure to insert a stent in his heart. He had been using a walker throughout the trial and was being held in a prison ward at Bellevue after complaining of chest pains.“As an individual with no criminal history having spent no time previously incarcerated, his health concerns, his age, and as famous as he is, a custodial sentence will no doubt prove much more difficult for Mr. Weinstein than most other inmates, which further counsels in favor of a sentence of five years’ imprisonment,” defense attorneys Damon Cheronis, Donna Rotunno and Arthur Aidala wrote in their letter to Judge James Burke.“With respect to deterrence, counsel will again note that Mr. Weinstein is a first-time offender,” the attorneys wrote.The sexual assault charge carries a maximum of 25 years in prison. He could receive up to four years in prison for the rape conviction.Prosecutors have said Weinstein deserves a “lengthy” prison sentence. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office did not recommend a specific sentence but said it is “totally appropriate” to show through the court’s sentence “that sexual assault, even if perpetrated upon an acquaintance or in a professional setting, is a serious offense worthy of a lengthy prison sentence,” according to a letter to the same judge filed by prosecutors last Friday.The DA’s submission details what the prosecutor’s office claims are several decades’ worth of alleged misconduct by Weinstein beyond what was prosecuted in court.The defense attorneys responded in their letter that those additional accusations by prosecutors, “many of which are not even sexual in nature (e.g. “abusive behavior in the workplace”) and the vast majority of which have nothing to do with [Mimi] Haley or Jessica Mann — in no way constitute relevant conduct.”The prosecution filing notes the complaining witnesses, Jessica Mann and Mimi Haley, will submit statements to the court.ABC News does not normally name victims of sexual assault, but both women have either publicly identified themselves or agreed to allow their names to be used.Following the verdict, Weinstein’s attorneys said in a statement they will be filing an appeal, claiming there were “extremely troubling issues” with the trial.While appealing his New York conviction, Weinstein will also be preparing to defend himself against four felony sexual assault charges filed earlier this year by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office. In that case, Weinstein is charged with attacking two women in separate incidents over a two-day period in Feb. 2013. He has not yet entered a plea in that case. Weinstein claims any sexual encounters were consensual.If you or someone you know experienced sexual assault and is seeking resources, call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More →

Culturalist Challenge! Who Is Broadway’s Sexiest Man Alive for 2015?

first_imgThe Broadway.com staff is crazy for Culturalist, the website that lets you choose and create your own top 10 lists. Every week, we’re challenging you with a new Broadway-themed topic to rank. People Magazine named David Beckham as 2015’s Sexiest Man Alive, but the question we really care about is: Who is Broadway’s Sexiest Man Alive for 2015? We know it’s a toughie, but we have faith that you will vote with your heart as you rank your picks on Culturalist. Before you freak out, please remember we are only considering people who are currently on Broadway! Head to Culturalist to let the hunk-ranking begin! Broadway.com Social Media Manager Caitlyn Gallip kicked off this new challenge with her top 10. Now it’s your turn!STEP 1—SELECT: Visit Culturalist to see all of your options. Highlight your 10 favorites and click the “continue” button.STEP 2—RANK: Reorder your 10 choices by dragging them into the correct spot on your list. Click the “continue” button.STEP 3—PREVIEW: You will now see your complete top 10 list. If you like it, click the “publish” button.Once your list is published, you can see the overall rankings of everyone on the aggregate list.Pick your favorites, then tune in for the results next week on Broadway.com! View Commentslast_img read more

Read More →

Leaders must be held accountable

first_img Horrific slaughter To my utter amazement and disgust, in full view of the public, one of the horses was euthanised and removed from the racetrack by a front-end loader, with the now deceased horse’s head and neck hanging from the bucket of the vehicle. The author of this unconscionable act obviously has no regard to the sensitivity of any ‘horse lover’ at the Park. I suppose that “oops” will be the answer if any animal rights organisations protest this action. That was not all. The next race, the fifth race, was scheduled to start at 2:35 p.m., but got off to its customary late start. At the end of the race, a now seemingly mandatory ‘stewards enquiry’ sign was placed on the tote board, as the stewards reviewed the race. After a lengthy deliberation, one of three grey horses in the race was disqualified for ‘interference” during the race. Frantic stakeholders (two trainers and an announcer) immediately went to the room where the gentlemen were to have dialogue with the stewards, to inform them that the wrong grey horse had been disqualified! The number seven horse, No Money Friend, was not the culprit, but horse number four, Touch the Road, was to blame. Upon further review, the now embarrassed stewards reportedly said “oops”, corrected themselves and dividends to be paid to successful punters recalculated and paid. This caused considerable delay to the running of the next race as reluctant race-day managers, faced with the prospect of running the next race on time, ran the risk of running the last race in darkness so that punters at the track and 60-odd off-track betting stations could bet on the race. As usual, no one will be held accountable for yet another instance of incompetence, as “oops” seems to be the acceptable response. We cannot go on like this. People must be held accountable for their actions and sanctioned after independent review. There is no other way. A new administrator of a world sporting body (Sebastian Coe) is quoted as saying: “It is our responsibility to make sure right systems are in place and the right people to uphold these systems.” Here at home in Jamaica, that responsibility seems more and more to be in our hands. We can get results when we collectively demand it. Let us no longer be afraid. As the world reels from disclosure after disclosure that the men who ‘volunteer’ for service as sport administrators have personal aggrandisement as the real reason for their service, the call for term limits to their reign becomes even more moot. The Dick Pound-authored revelations about the shenanigans in WADA and the IAAF regarding doping in sport – which was published yesterday – should alert us here in Jamaica to the relevance of whistle-blowers who come forward with information that is factual, but are vilified and ostracised by those (with authority) who are fingered. We must begin to look deeply into the administration of sporting bodies that continually fail to succeed, yet whose leaders glibly request ‘reform’, but hang on for dear life when requested to submit to ‘reform’. The sport of horse racing continues to lose money, monthly, despite every study and review pointing out that Government has no business promoting the sport. We hear, year after year, that “the promoting company (Caymanas Track Limited) will be divested soon”, while the investors and stakeholders soldier on in hope. Recently, there has been a welcome rush of sponsorship of the sport. Supreme Ventures Limited, Burger King and the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) have put their resources and cash on the line in showing a sceptical public that this sport of horse racing can be a welcome source of fun and entertainment every week. However, administrators do things that frustrate punters and nauseate visitors. Following the fourth race at Caymanas Park last Saturday, two horses were unable to finish the race through injury. They had their jockeys dismount inside the final furlong of an 1,820 metres race.last_img read more

Read More →

Markievicz Award for Falcarragh poet Annemarie Ní Churreáin

first_imgDonegal writer and poet Annemarie Ní Churreáin has been announced as one of the first recipients of the new Markievicz Award.The award is a new bursary scheme for artists launched to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the appointment of the first female cabinet minister, Constance de Markievicz.Annemarie Ní Churreáin, who is originally from Doire Chonaire outside Falcarragh, is part of a collective of poets who received one of the €20,000 awards. Annemarie Ní ChurreáinAnnemarie will be working alongside fellow poets Kimberley Campanello and Dimitra Xidous to create a project titled (S)worn State(S): Poems After Constance Markievicz.Taking the theme of ‘witness’ in the context of women’s lives and the Irish State 2012-23 and beyond, this project will result in a suite of new poems and culminate in a live performance & a letter-press publication by The Salvage Press.Annemarie is the author of two books – the highly acclaimed Bloodroot and Town and the 2019 Culture Ambassador for Donegal.The 2019 Markievicz Awards were presented by Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Josepha Madigan TD. The Minister congratulated each of the award recipients and wished them well in applying the award to underpinning their practice and further developing their craft.  Markievicz Award for Falcarragh poet Annemarie Ní Churreáin was last modified: September 1st, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

Scrubbers Installed on NewlyRefurbished Queen Elizabeth

first_imgzoomImage Courtesy: Damen Cunard’s cruise ship Queen Elizabeth has been equipped with twin exhaust gas cleaning systems following a twelve-day repair and refit program at Damen Shiprepair Brest.The refurbishment program included a series of the ship’s major systems being overhauled or installed.Once it arrived, the ship was placed in Damen Shiprepair Brest’s drydock number 3 and the relevant manufacturers began on maintenance to its stabilizers, ABB Azipods, bow thrusters and water intakes.Meanwhile, above the waterline, work was going on to install twin scrubbers which, along with all the pipe and ducting work, involved the removal of two cabins to accommodate the additional equipment.Inside the vessel, the refurbishment included a series of cabins and corridors, along with the ship’s spa and part of the retail provision. Ashore, Damen performed routine maintenance to Queen Elizabeth’s lifeboats, liferafts and tenders, and the yard also cleaned and repainted the hull and topsides of the ship.The project represented a major logistical operation, with multiple third-party teams working alongside the Damen personnel and each other. In total, around 250 people worked on the project.The program was completed a day earlier, with Queen Elizabeth back at its home port of Southampton in the morning of November 27, 2018.With a length of 294 meters and a width of 32.3 meters, Queen Elizabeth is a Vista class cruise ship delivered in 2010. Apart from Queen Elizabeth, Cunard Line has two more ships in its fleet, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2. In addition, the company has one cruise vessel on order which is scheduled for delivery in 2022.last_img read more

Read More →

Ministry of Education Digicel team up for Learning Hub

first_img Hurricane Irma hits TCI Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI June 22, 2017 — A new online platform for exam prep is the product of a partnership between the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports & Library Services and Digicel TCI.The website, called Learning Hub, provides students sitting the Grade Six Achievement Test, Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate and the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations with test prep through tutorials, practice tests and other educational materials. Ministry officials said the platform makes test prep easier, more convenient and should increase performance rates among students. Learning Hub can be found at: www.learninghub.online The project was signed off by former Education Minister Josephine Connolly.#MagneticMediaNews#TCILearningHub Happy Hours All Weekend at Outback Steakhouse Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you TCI Premier & Governor gives “all-clear” after Hurricane Irma Related Items:#magneticmedianews, Learning Hub, ministry of education, Tcilast_img read more

Read More →

Man 92 sentenced to probation for shooting son in Old Town

first_img March 28, 2019 Man, 92, sentenced to probation for shooting son in Old Town KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 92-year-old man who shot his son in the head last fall as he slept in his father’s Old Town residence, following what family and friends said was continuous, abusive behavior on the part of the son, was sentenced to three years probation today following a guilty plea to a voluntary manslaughter count earlier this year.Richard Landis Peck had been facing a murder charge and a potential 50-year-to-life sentence in the death of his 51-year-old son, Robert, who defense attorneys, Peck’s family, and friends said was abusive to his father.Per the terms of his probation, Peck will be required to remain confined to his home on an electronic monitoring device, but will be permitted to leave the residence for grocery shopping, attending religious services and other errands.San Diego County Superior Court Judge Kathleen M. Lewis said she agreed to impose probation rather than prison time because the record indicated Peck’s son was “psychologically and emotionally abusive” to his father, in addition to taking account for Peck’s age and frail physical condition, having recently suffered broken hips and heart attacks.Robert “Robbie” Peck was going through a divorce and had moved in with his dad about three months prior to his death, Peck’s attorney, Douglas Gilliland, said. Within those 90 days, the defendant feared for his safety, calling police twice, the attorney said.He was told by police that it was a family matter and they didn’t want to get involved, according to Gilliland, who said the defendant’s housekeeper was also “terrified” of his client’s son and wanted to quit.Abusive acts dictated by the court included Robert Peck shoving a rag soaked in dog’s urine into his father’s face, throwing objects at him, and disabling his father’s phone.Robert Peck,  described by Lewis as an “extreme alcoholic” who had a .39 blood alcohol content at the time of his death, also told his father that he “was almost dead, that he had no purpose to live” and that he “needed to die of natural causes so (Robert) could inherit his money,” the judge said.The day of the shooting, Robert Peck smashed his father’s telephone and told him, “I’m going to see you again” as he went off to bed, Gilliland alleged.The attorney said the most assistance Peck was able to receive was a 72-hour psychiatric hold on his son, after which he immediately returned to Peck’s home and the abuse continued, prompting another call to authorities just a week later.The defendant’s family had been trying to intervene for some time and were unsuccessful in trying to get Richard Peck to spend some time away from San Diego in Athens, Georgia, Gilliland said.The nonagenarian was arrested the evening of Nov. 14 after going to a neighbor’s house in the 2300 block of Juan Street and telling her that he had just shot his son, according to police. Officers arrived moments later and found the victim dead in his father’s residence.Gilliland said that Peck remains “extremely remorseful” for what happened and “lives with this every day.” The attorney said that Peck is a victim, but accepted the plea agreement because he “feels like he wanted his day in court, but at the same time understood the risks of going to court and the resulting state prison commit.”In addition to home confinement, Peck is required to pay about $4,800 in restitution to pay for his son’s funeral costs.Peck is also being sued by his son’s estranged wife, Annette, and her son, in a wrongful death suit for somewhere in the “tens of millions of dollars,” according to Gilliland, though he contended that he didn’t know how they arrived at that amount “considering the wife had filed for divorce, having locked Rob out of the house and he really had no meaningful contact with the family.” Posted: March 28, 2019 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More →