Government remains silent on findings of investigations into Hayatullah Khan’s murder

first_img April 21, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Pakistan RSF_en January 28, 2021 Find out more News Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire “The government clearly has no intention of releasing the full results of the commission of enquiry headed by a Peshawar judge or the investigation by the governor of North-West Frontier Province,” the press freedom organisation said.”The lack of transparency is shocking, coming as it does after the reassuring statements by senior government officials that followed the discovery of Khan’s body,” Reporters Without Borders continued. “We support the demand by the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists for both reports to be published in their entirety at once.”Reporters Without Borders asked the European Union, members of the European parliament and the parliament’s president to ensure that the cases of Khan and other journalists kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan were raised with President Pervez Musharraf during his visit to Brussels yesterday.Two other journalists, Munir Mengal of the TV station Baloch Voice and Mehruddin Marri of the Sindhi-language daily newspaper Kawish, are still missing after being kidnapped by intelligence agents.Judge Mohammad Raza Khan sent the report on his investigation into the Hayatullah Khan case to the authorities in Islamabad on 18 August, one month late. “I have done my job by handing in this report,” he told Reporters Without Borders. “It is now up to the government to publish it or not.”The judge interviewed many people, including Khan’s family and a Reporters Without Borders representative. Despite requests by journalists’ organisations, the commission conducted all of its interviews without the press or public being present.The governor of North-West Frontier Province announced on 9 September that the team he had ordered to investigate the Khan murder had also submitted its report to the government in Islamabad. Strangely, the governor seemed unaware that the judge had also submitted his report.After Khan’s body was found on 16 June near Mir Ali in North Waziristan (one of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas), the prime minister, interior minister and information minister all separately promised that those responsible for his murder would be punished.Khan’s body was handcuffed when he was found, and he had been shot several times in the head. He looked very thin and his beard was much longer, suggesting that he suffered considerable deprivations during his months in captivity.He was kidnapped in Mir Ali on 5 December, a few days after he produced evidence refuting Pakistani army claims that the death of Hamza Rabia, a leading Arab militant in Al-Qaeda, and four others on 1 December was the result of an accidental munitions explosion. Photographs taken by Khan at the scene indicated that Rabia was killed by a US missile that was probably fired from a plane or a drone. News News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder June 2, 2021 Find out more PakistanAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts September 13, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government remains silent on findings of investigations into Hayatullah Khan’s murder PakistanAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders voiced dismay today about the silence with which the Pakistani authorities, including information minister Mohammad Ali Durrani, have greeted the findings of the two reports they have received about the kidnapping and murder of Hayatullah Khan, a journalist based in North Waziristan who worked for the Urdu-language daily Ausaf and the European Press Photo Agency (EPA). to go further Organisation last_img read more

Read More →

New Lights to Brighten 34th Street Gateway

first_imgLights hang now from temporary electric poles and cords and often burn out or don’t work. By MADDY VITALEWhen the trees along the 34th Street entryway into Ocean City shine with classic holiday lights, people agree it leaves a good impression.But when the lights burn out or are off in spots, the feeling while traveling into the city’s south end could be a bit lackluster.That is where City Councilman Bob Barr and residents in the Fourth Ward come in. Since taking office in 2016, Barr has worked with his constituents to ask for, and get, aesthetic improvements in the area that runs from the foot of the 34th Street bridge to West Avenue. The main one being year-round lights.The problem, however, is the infrastructure cannot sustain the lights year-round.“Sometimes the lights go out or just don’t operate. A new permanent infrastructure will allow the lights to be on year-round and the lights will be nicer, brighter, and energy efficient,” Barr said in a phone interview Saturday. City Council passed a resolution at Thursday’s meeting to go out to bid for the installation of electrical infrastructure to create the right system to keep the white lights on.Barr said he hopes the bidding process moves swiftly.“We have to see when we get the bids back. I’m hoping it moves as quickly as possible,” he said. “Everything will stay the same but nicer, brighter, permanent lights will replace the ones there now.”The LED lights will be illuminated year-round and will enhance the entryway, Barr pointed out.Year-round lights will replace holiday lights that burn out because the current infrastructure cannot sustain them.Mayor Jay Gillian addressed the issue in his weekly message posted Friday on the city’s website.“Council also approved a resolution to seek bids on bringing permanent electrical infrastructure to Roosevelt Boulevard at the 34th Street gateway to Ocean City,” Gillian said. “That will create reliable electrical service for the lights in the trees along the roadway. This started as a holiday display, but the decorations were popular enough the residents and guests have asked that they be lit year-round.”But the lights are only the first step in a long list of proposed upgrades to dramatically improve the area that visitors see first when they make their way over the 34th Street bridge into the south end of the city.Barr remarked about some of the items in the grass median strip lining the roadway.“We would like to see the clutter cleared up,” he said. “There are different signs for different things up there. The county puts out signs and there are other signs. I thought signs should be put up in a more thoughtful way. It is sort of haphazard right now.” Councilman Bob Barr looks out on traffic traveling on 34th Street in February 2018.last_img read more

Read More →

Qatar Airways canceled 6 of 9 scheduled flights to Zagreb in August

first_imgThe situation is no better in August. Qatar Airways made its first flight to Zagreb on August 12, and was supposed to have 9 flights on this route by the end of this month. Only three flights were active (August 12, 17 and 26.08) while the other 6 departures were canceled (including the next scheduled flight, August 31.08). The biggest problem of this company is certainly weak demand, they point out from Croatian Aviation, so Qatar Airways to Zagreb uses its smallest aircraft from the fleet, Airbus A320, with a capacity of only 132 seats, but it cannot reach a satisfactory number of passengers. “The fact is that 70% of the planned flights have been canceled on the route between Doha and Zagreb, and this is certainly not a fact that instills confidence in the small number of passengers who have to travel with this airline. In that sense, we hope for better statistics in September.”They conclude from Croatian Aviation. Of the 14 flights planned in July, the company flew only four and then canceled the Zagreb route again by mid-August.center_img Qatar Airways resumed traffic on the Doha-Zagreb route in mid-August, but out of the planned nine, it performed only three flights, reports Croatian Aviation. last_img read more

Read More →

Opoku Nti confirms Kotoko’s Under -20 participation in tournament in May

first_imgKumasi Asante Kotoko has confirmed their participation in the 76th edition of the FIFA Youth Cup Tournament in Zurich Switzerland.The Acting General Manager of Kotoko, Opoku Nti who disclosed this on Asempa Sports on Tuesday and said that the tourney will come off between May 27 and 30, 2014.He stated that Kotoko have been directed to send a contingent of 18 players and seven officials.The invitation letter indicates that nine other youth teams from Brazil, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Greece and the hosts Switzerland will all be in action.The clubs are Atlético Paranaense, Brazil; FC Bayern München, Germany; Benfica Lissbon, Portugal; Olympiacos Piraeus, Greece; Villareal CF, Spain; FC Sion, Grasshopper Club Zürich, FC Zürich, FC Blue Stars Zürich all from Switzerland.The Kotoko team has already started preparation for the competition that is more than eight weeks away. Handlers of the Young Porcupines say, they will do their best to put the team in great shape in order to make a meaningful impact at the Swiss tournament.last_img read more

Read More →

IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions aim to bounce back against in-form Delhi Daredevils

first_imgGujarat Lions will aim to bounce back from a shock defeat in their last match and cement their position at the top of the table when they meet Delhi Daredevils in an Indian Premier League (IPL) match at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium here on Tuesday. (Full IPL Coverage)Bottom-placed Kings XI Punjab brought Gujarat’s three-match winning streak to an end with a 23-run win here on Sunday. But despite the shock loss, Gujarat are still at the top of the standings with 12 points from eight matches.Chasing a moderate target of 155 runs, the Gujarat batting line-up suffered a rare dip in form. Gujarat’s strength has been consistent performances from their top order which has seen them achieve scores of around 200 runs on a regular basis.Openers Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Smith have formed a formidable combination while skipper Suresh Raina and Dinesh Karthik have made useful contributions in the middle-order. But all four came up short against Punjab and will be eager to prove themselves against Delhi in their last home match of the current season.All-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Ravindra Jadeja have been useful with the ball, but have yet to contribute with the bat. They continued their poor batting form against Punjab as well, which should be a concern for the Gujarat think tank.Bravo has taken 10 wickets in eight matches so far, but has contributed just 52 runs with the bat. Jadeja, on the other hand, has claimed five wickets from seven matches, but has managed to score only 53 runs.advertisementAustralian all-rounder James Faulkner however, has been quite consistent in the lower down the order and can be relied upon to come up with the bit hits late in the innings.Among the bowlers, left-arm spinner Shivil Kaushik had impressive figures of 3/20 against Punjab and will be hoping to take his form into Tuesday’s match. Pacers Dhawal Kulkarni and Praveen Kumar have been doing well while Faulkner will hope to do better after going for quite a few runs against Punjab.Delhi, meanwhile, are upbeat after beating former champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in their last match. They have been quite impressive so far this season and are currently third on the table with eight points.Quinton de Kock’s form has petered off somewhat after a quickfire century in his first match while fellow opener Shreyas Iyer is also struggling for runs.South Africa star Jean-Paul Duminy, Karun Nair and Sanju Samson have done well in the middle-order while English import Sam Billings showed promise with a 34-ball 54 against Kolkata in what was his first match for Delhi this season.West Indies all-rounder Craig Brathwaite made a successful return to the team with an 11-ball 34 against the Knight Riders. South African all-rounder Chris Morris has contributed with both bat and ball.In the bowling department, captain Zaheer Khan has struggled to re-capture his best form. But the former India left-arm pacer enjoyed a successful outing against KKR, returning figures of 3/21. Brathwaite also bagged three wickets against KKR, although he was quite expensive, giving away 47 runs in his four overs.The squads:Gujarat Lions: Suresh Raina (captain), Sarabjit Ladda, Akshadeep Nath, Amit Mishra, Dwayne Bravo, Paras Dogra, Eklavya Dwivedi, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ishan Kishan, Ravindra Jadeja, Shadab Jakati, Dinesh Karthik, Shivil Kaushik, Dhawal Kulkarni, Praveen Kumar, Brendon McCullum, Pradeep Sangwan, Jaydev Shah, Umang Sharma, Dwayne Smith, Dale Styne, Pravin Tambe, Andrew Tye.Delhi Daredevils: Zaheer Khan (captain), Mayank Agarwal, Khaleel Ahmed, Sam Billings, Carlos Brathwait, Nathan Coulter Nile, Quinton de Kock, Jean-Paul Duminy, Akhil Harwardkar, Imran Tahir, Shreyas Iyer, Manipal Lamror, Chama Milind, Amit Mishra, Mohammad Shami, Chris Morris, Shahbaz Nadeem, Karun Nair, Pawan Negi, Rishabh Pant, Pratyush Singh, Sanju Samson, Pawan Suyal, Jayant Yadav.last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoAC Milan coach Gattuso denies any Ibrahimovic disappointment

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say AC Milan coach Gattuso denies any Ibrahimovic disappointmentby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan coach Rino Gattuso has shrugged off missing out on Zlatan Ibrahimovic.The Swede has just signed a new deal with Galaxy.Gattuso said, “I never spoke to Zlatan. When important people like our directors are here I respect them and everyone does their own job.“I knew there was a chance, and I also knew from day one that it was difficult.“There’s no disappointment, if someone arrives I’m happy but I’m not going to tear my hair out about those who don’t.“The management knows who I like and who can be useful, and since July I’ve never spoken to a player outside our group.” last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoBayern Munich president Rummenigge coy over deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Bayern Munich president Rummenigge coy over deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucasby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is coy over talk of a deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez.Lucas has been linked with an €85m move to Germany next month.And Rummenigge says: “I cannot deny or confirm anything.”We are in a phase where we are studying the January market. If we have any real interest in the player, we will inform Atletico first, because we have excellent relations with this club.”(Mats) Hummels will play with us again in the second part of the season, we talked about it with (Niko) Kovac.” last_img read more

Read More →

UNC Honored Coach K’s 1,000 Wins Before Tonight’s Rivalry Game

first_imgCoach K honored before game against UNC.UNC and Duke just tipped off in the latest installment of their classic rivalry. The first game between the two teams back on Feb 18 was an overtime thriller, before which the two schools joined together to honor legendary former UNC coach Dean Smith, who had just passed away.Tonight, UNC returned the favor, presenting Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski with a plaque to commemorate him reaching the 1,000-win plateau. The public address announcer at the Dean Dome also thanked Krzyzewski for the respect he showed Smith after his passing.Great moment by @GoHeels players and Coach Roy Williams to honor Mike Krzyzewski’s 1,000 wins. #UNCvsDUKE pic.twitter.com/v67UFaeJvu— Durham Magazine (@durhammag) March 8, 2015Cool gesture on UNC’s part, and a great show of admiration and respect within the confines of a heated rivalry.last_img read more

Read More →

Video: Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser, Nigel Hayes Show Off Their Awesome Handshake In The Locker Room

first_imgJosh Gasser, Nigel Hayes perform their amazing handshake.Wisconsin’s pre-game locker room appears to be a loose one as the Badgers prepare for their Sweet 16 contest against North Carolina in Los Angeles. Prior to their West Region semifinal contest against the Tar Heels, Wisconsin sophomore forward Nigel Hayes and senior guard Josh Gasser showed off their awesome handshake in the Staples Center locker room. Check it out:  Wisconsin and North Carolina are set to tip off at 7:47 p.m. E.T. The game will be televised on TBS.last_img

Read More →

Toronto market drags as US stocks mostly push higher loonie down

first_imgTORONTO – Rallying oil prices and a rising energy sector weren’t enough to keep Canada’s main stock index out of the red Thursday, as U.S. stocks mostly closed higher amid a pullback in bond yields.The S&P/TSX composite index was down 15.84 points to 15,508.17, in a largely broad-based decline that included the influential gold and financials sectors.Investors were relieved to see the yield on U.S. 10-year Treasury notes fall to 2.92 per cent from Wednesday, when it climbed to 2.95 per cent — the highest level since January 2014. Higher yields generally hurt stock prices by making bonds more appealing to investors.The spike in bond yields Wednesday came after the Federal Reserve’s minutes from its January policy meeting showed bullish sentiment among policy-makers, confirming their intention to raise interest rates this year.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average was up 164.70 points to 24,962.48. The S&P 500 index added 2.63 points to 2,703.96 and the Nasdaq composite index was down 8.14 points to 7,210.09.“For the most part we’re seeing a lot of renewed appetite for risk,” said Candice Bangsund, a vice-president and portfolio manager at Fiera Capital in Montreal.“A lot of that was that bond yields did come off today, particularly after the strong back up we saw earlier this week. So I think there was a little bit of relief for the equity markets.”In currency markets, the loonie continued its flight south as the Canadian dollar closed at an average trading value of 78.68 cents US, down 0.24 of a U.S. cent. The currency is down more than a penny so far this week.“We saw weakness on the back of the weaker-than-expected retail sales report, so the Canadian dollar fell on that news,” said Bangsund.Statistics Canada reported Thursday that retail sales fell 0.8 per cent in December to $49.6 billion, as gains in new car sales were more than offset by lower sales at electronics and appliance stores and general merchandise retailers.On the Canadian corporate front, shares of Loblaw Companies Ltd. were down $1.15, or 1.76 per cent, to $64.16 after the grocer reported a drop in its fourth-quarter profit due to a $189-million charge related to the announcement of its PC Optimum loyalty rewards program and the fallout from its admission of participation in an alleged industry-wide price-fixing conspiracy.Meanwhile, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce kicked off banks’ earnings season after it reported first-quarter net income of $1.33 million — down 5.6 per cent from the same period a year ago but up more than 22 per cent on an adjusted basis, beating expectations.In commodities news, the April crude contract climbed US$1.09 to US$62.77 per barrel and the April natural gas contract was down one cent at US$2.68 per mmBTU.The April gold contract added 60 cents to US$1,332.70 an ounce and the March copper contract was up three cents at US$3.24 a pound.– With a file from The Associated Press.Companies in this story: (TSX:L, TSX:CM)last_img read more

Read More →