Journalist Ogulsapar Muradova dies violently in prison

first_img TurkmenistanEurope – Central Asia Twenty Reporters Without Borders activists occupied Turkmenistan’s embassy in Paris for three hours today toprotest against the death of Radio Free Europe’s correspondent in prison and to demand the release of anotherjournalist and a human rights activist still being held. The French police forcibly removed the ReportersWithout Borders protesters from the embassy. “It is essential that the international community, especially the European countries, the United States and Russia, should demand to know what happened,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Impunity and indifference are the worst form to treatment for journalists who fall victim to the enemies of press freedom and for their relatives.” Receive email alerts #CollateralFreedom: RSF now unblocking 21 sites in 12 countries Follow the news on Turkmenistan Calling for a full investigation into how she died, the press freedom organisation voiced concern about the two people who were tried and convicted with her as the same secret trial on 25 August, one of whom was a fixer for the French television production company Galaxie-Presse. News The organisation also voiced “great concern” about the fate of Muradova’s co-defendants, fixer Annakurban Amanklychev and human rights activist Sapardurdy Khajiyev, who received sentences of six and seven years respectively at the same trial, that was held secretly without any independent observers and lasted less than two hours. September 14, 2006 – Updated on August 10, 2018 Journalist Ogulsapar Muradova dies violently in prison December 18, 2020 Find out more RSF_en to go furthercenter_img News March 31, 2020 Find out more TurkmenistanEurope – Central Asia Coronavirus off limits in Turkmenistan Four-year jail term for independent website’s correspondent in Turkmenistan News Help by sharing this information Organisation Reporters Without Borders has learned that police took Ogulsapar Muradova’s adult children this morning to the Ashgabat morgue where they informed them of her death and showed them the body. There was a head wound and many marks on the rest of the body. Sources had previously reported that Muradova was mistreated following her arrest on 16 June and while she was awaiting trial. News March 13, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More →

Collins seeks meeting with hospital CEO

first_img Previous article€4.3m contracts signed for two Limerick road projectsNext articleUlster Bank League Weekend Previews #UBL Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Cllr Michael CollinsCllr Michael CollinsLIMERICK Fianna Fail councillors who visited the University Hospital as a group on Thursday were unable to gain a meeting with hospital group CEO Colette Cowan to discuss the crisis in the emergency department, where there were 41 patients on trolleys waiting for beds.But Fianna Fail group leader on the local authority, Michael Collins said he accepts that the visit was at short notice.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “In those circumstances, it is understandable that she couldn’t meet with the group but I’m also a member of the Health Forum West and I have requested a meeting with the CEO through them,” Cllr Collins said.But the Fianna Fail representative , speaking with the Limerick Post four days after an email request had been sent to the CEO from the Forum, said he “has had no reply as yet. I’m not happy about that”.Cllr Collins said that the group did not visit the ED. “They didn’t want to interfere at a time when the department was terribly busy,” he said. See the January 17 edition of the Limerick Post for more. Linkedin Advertisement Twitter WhatsApp NewsBreaking newsCollins seeks meeting with hospital CEOBy Bernie English – January 9, 2015 780 Email Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live center_img Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories TAGSfeaturedlimerickMichael CollinsUNiversity Hospita Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Print Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Facebooklast_img read more

Read More →

TVA’s Johnson: Utility’s coal plant closures make economic sense

first_imgTVA’s Johnson: Utility’s coal plant closures make economic sense FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:The chief executive of Tennessee Valley Authority said on Thursday the U.S.-owned power generator will keep cutting carbon emissions in future years after replacing much of its coal-fired fleet with plants run on natural gas, nuclear and renewables.Since Bill Johnson took the reigns as CEO in 2013, TVA has spent $15 billion to modernize its generating fleet, reduced carbon emissions by retiring coal units, and cut debt by $3.5 billion, all while keeping consumer electric prices basically flat for six years.“Carbon emissions are now down to 50 percent below 2005 levels. I predict CO2 will fall to 60 percent below 2005 levels by 2020/2021 and 70 percent by the end of the next decade,” Johnson told Reuters in an interview.The company continued to shut coal-fired units over the past two years despite efforts by U.S. President Donald Trump to prop up the coal industry by sweeping away former President Barack Obama’s climate change regulations, like the Clean Power Plan.Johnson said TVA shut old coal plants for economic reasons. “We have reduced carbon emissions simply by doing what is the most efficient and effective way to serve our customers,” Johnson said, noting the low cost of gas in recent years has made it more economic for TVA to build a new gas-fired power plant than refurbish a 60-year old coal unit.Over Johnson’s tenure, TVA’s generating mix transitioned from 41 percent coal and 12 percent gas in 2012, the year before he became CEO, to 19 percent coal and 20 percent gas in 2018, according to TVA’s federal filings. And TVA may not be done retiring coal plants.More: TVA to keep cutting carbon with natural gas, nuclear power plants: CEOlast_img read more

Read More →

CUNA Coaching Leadership Virtual School to focus on building people leaders

first_img This post is currently collecting data… ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr This is placeholder text continue reading »center_img To acknowledge the need for and power of strong people leaders in credit unions, CUNA has announced CUNA Coaching Leadership Virtual School, set to take place Nov. 9-10. Credit union people leaders of all levels are encouraged to attend this interactive training to transform their leadership by learning, developing and practicing effective coaching conversations.“In a very short period, this program shares enough information, tips and real-life experience to get you on a path that could make a big difference in your life and the lives of your team members,” said Janice McNiel, teleservices manager, Zeal CU.Sessions will be led by Tim Hagen, creator of Progress Coaching. Tim will guide attendees through current training methodologies and models. He will then help them apply these principles to their workplace scenarios to design personalized coaching conversations that elevate staff performance. Attendees will bring coaching scenarios  to work through and will collaborate with peers to design and practice effective coaching conversations.last_img read more

Read More →

Tickets on sale for Mandela Bay Sevens

first_img12 September 2013Tickets have gone on sale for the annual Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens, taking place in Port Elizabeth on the weekend of 7 and 8 December.The event brings together the world’s leading national Sevens rugby teams, and Port Elizabeth will be the third of eight stops on the 2013/14 HSBC Sevens World Series calendar, preceded by the Dubai Sevens on 29 and 30 November.Last season, the Springbok Sevens team, despite a wretched list of injuries, finished second on the World Series log behind New Zealand after winning three tournament titles, a mark unmatched by any other side.Victory at homeThey will be out to emulate their effort in the 2008/09 season, when they won in Dubai and on home soil in George, before adding another victory in Adelaide, on their way to the overall World Series title.The Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens tournament is the only occasion where South Africans are able to watch the Springbok Sevens in international action at home. The Blitzbokke will be one of 16 teams battling it out for the coveted trophy and the important World Series points on offer.Tickets for the popular tournament are available at all Computicket, Shoprite and Checkers outlets in South Africa, and online through Computicket.Book earlyThe organisers of the Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens are expecting a rush for tickets, which have been very reasonably priced, and they have therefore urged supporters to book their admission early to avoid disappointment.Tickets cost as little as R50 and South African Rugby Union (Saru) CEO Jurie Roux says the national body is working hard to deliver another world-class Sevens tournament.“The Cell C Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens tournament has established itself as one of the standout tournaments on the World Series calendar and Saru are once more looking forward to hosting the world’s best Sevens players in Port Elizabeth,” Roux said in a statement earlier this week.‘Top-class entertainment’“Our marketing team and various stakeholders have joined forces to compile a top-class entertainment programme for what promises to be an unforgettable weekend of rugby action. Apart from the excitement on the field, fans will also be able to enjoy a free concert on the Saturday evening,” Roux added.“There will also be opportunities to meet the Springbok Sevens squad, as well as members of the other participating teams, during signing sessions, coaching clinics and various open training sessions.”TICKET PRICESSaturday, 7 December Tier 2, West Stand, Blocks 201-204 and Blocks 228-231: R150Tier 2, East Stand, North Stand and South Stand: R50Tier 2, West Stand, Disabled Area: R150Tier 2, East Stand, Disabled Area: R50 Sunday, 8 December Tier 2, West Stand, Blocks 200-204 and Blocks 228-231: R150Tier 2, East Stand, North Stand and South Stand: R50Tier 2, West Stand, Disabled Area: R150Tier 2, East Stand, Disabled Area: R50 SAinfo reporter and SA Rugbylast_img read more

Read More →

Messi v Ronaldo: Pele picks his winner

first_imgLionel Messi Messi v Ronaldo: Brazil legend Pele picks his winner Chris Burton 23:40 1/18/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(21) Cristiano Ronaldo Lionel Messi Real Madrid Barcelona Getty Lionel Messi Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid Barcelona Primera División The three-time World Cup winner and all-time great has added his voice to the most heated of debates – Barcelona talisman or Real Madrid superstar? Brazilian legend Pele has made his pick between Barcelona talisman Lionel Messi and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.The three-time World Cup winner is widely regarded to have been the finest player of all-time, with few players able to get close to his legacy.Messi and Ronaldo are among those from the modern era to have been placed in such a talent bracket, with a pair of eternal rivals having shared 10 Ballons d’Or and countless records between them. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Who, though, is the greatest? That is a debate which has raged for over a decade now, with Pele the latest to offer an opinion.A man who over 1,000 goals to his name told SporTV of two 21st century stars at the peak of their powers: “It’s sad that you have only two players in the world to choose from.“Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona, Pele, Zico, Junior … All over the world now there are only two players. And Neymar, right? Our Brazilian is getting there. Pele Messi v Ronaldo“I would still stay with Messi. Scoring is important, no doubt, but if you do not have anyone to prepare, then the ball is not enough. For my team I prefer Messi.”Pele added on the differences between Messi and Ronaldo: “Messi’s been the most stable in the last 10 years.”As for Cristiano Ronaldo, he’s a great goalscorer.”Ronaldo’s been able to score goals, while you see Messi creating goals and directing the play, as well as scoring.”Ronaldo’s a great goalscorer but in terms of the complete player, there’s no doubt that Messi is the best.”Pele is all too aware of how opinion can be divided in debates such as this, with his standing alongside Argentine legend Diego Mardaona at the very top of the global game as divisive as the Messi versus Ronaldo argument.last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoBayern Munich president Rummenigge coy over deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Bayern Munich president Rummenigge coy over deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucasby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is coy over talk of a deal for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez.Lucas has been linked with an €85m move to Germany next month.And Rummenigge says: “I cannot deny or confirm anything.”We are in a phase where we are studying the January market. If we have any real interest in the player, we will inform Atletico first, because we have excellent relations with this club.”(Mats) Hummels will play with us again in the second part of the season, we talked about it with (Niko) Kovac.” last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoBournemouth boss Howe: Tottenham can win Premier League title

first_imgBournemouth boss Howe: Tottenham can win Premier League titleby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe says Tottenham are capable of winning the Premier League this season.Spurs went second after thrashing the Cherries 5-0 yesterday.Following the game, Howe was asked if he sees Spurs as title contenders and replied: “Without a doubt.”They’ve got the forward players and the creative players that can cause anyone problems.”They are in great form and are very clinical – we had equally good chances but didn’t take them.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

14 days agoEx-Liverpool goalkeeper James: Pickford still England’s best

first_imgEx-Liverpool goalkeeper James: Pickford still England’s bestby Paul Vegas14 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Liverpool goalkeeper David James says Jordan Pickford is the “best” English goalkeeper ahead of their upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers.Everton keeper Pickford is set to add to his 21 caps for the national side this week as England take on Czech Republic and Bulgaria on away soil.”I’m a fan of Jordan,” James said. “Looking at the Premier League clubs now I think there’s quite a few young English goalkeepers coming through but I still think he is the best about at the moment.”I like him, he’s confident. It will be interesting to see how his development goes.”Having had such a meteoric rise to the England position and shoring up that no.1 spot, there’s going to be a lull at some point. But he’s decent and he’s a good lad. When I’ve spoken to him he’s very focused, which is obviously very important.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

Mamata to meet PM Modi state issues on agenda

first_imgKOLKATA/NEW DELHI: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is arriving in the national capital on Tuesday, and is likely to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Lok Kalyan Marg at 4.30 pm on Wednesday, sources in the state secretariat confirmed on Monday.According to the sources , a letter was sent to the PMO last week requesting an appointment with Modi. The letter of approval for the meeting reached the state secretariat on Monday. She is likely to return to the city on Friday. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsSources said the two leaders would discuss issues including the change of the state’s name. The Trinamool Congress wants to change the name of the state from West Bengal to Bangla. During the budget session, a party delegation led by Sudip Bandopadhyay had met PM Modi raising this demand, but the Centre has not given its assent. The agenda will also include the state’s intended takeover of the Dunlop factory, for which the President’s consent is awaited. The list also covers issues related to the MNREGA scheme and its funding. The Chief Minister had met PM Modi last in March, during which they discussed the financial crisis facing the state. The Prime Minister had assured her that he would look into the issue.last_img read more

Read More →